Quality Start San Bernardino (QSSB) is a county-wide program that supports licensed child care programs, family child care programs, and preschools. Beyond the scope of these more traditional environments, QSSB has extended its work to partner with alternative settings, or license-exempt providers and community based programs, like family resource centers, home-visiting programs, libraries and more. Programs that participate in QSSB will receive variations of the following:
- Child development and school readiness, including appropriate learning activities and use of child observation tools and developmental and health screenings
- Teachers and teaching, including lead teacher/family child care home provider qualifications and effectiveness of teacher-child interactions
- Program and environment, including ratios and group size, assessment of the classroom environment, and center director qualifications
2020 - 2021 Program
The 2020-2021 program will look different than years past due to the limitations created by Covid-19 and the actions we are taking to keep personnel and participants safe. Here is what you can expect for coaching, rating, and assessments:
- Coaches will continue to support participants with coaching, resources, and hosting/sharing trainings and Communities of Practice. We have moved to a virtual platform for all of the above. Be sure to check your email for training invites and/or visit the QSSB Training Calendar here.
- There will be no ratings this year. We are following the procedures created by the California Department of Education.
- Informal assessments may occur virtually this year for a limited number of sites. These will be used to inform a site’s Quality Improvement Plan. They will not be used for official purposes.